Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Sweet Pongal / Sakkarai Pongal


Thai Pongal is a festival which is celebrated by Tamilians all over the world. Pongal coincides with Makara Sankaranthi which is celebrated in various other parts of India. Thai pongal is a celebration of the prosperity  associated with  the harvest by thanking the sun god, rain and the farm animals that have helped in the harvest. During this festival, people wear new clothes and prepare pongal in a pot.
I really miss India during such festivals. Anyways the difference is that I used to celebrated with my whole family in India, whereas here only me and my hubby. This year I prepared Sweet pongal and medhu vada on that day. Both came out well.Here is the recipe of my Sweet pongal.

Ingredients:
Rice - 1 cup
Moong dal - 1/4 cup
Ghee - 4-5 tbsp
Jaggery - 3/4 cup
Milk - 1/4 cup
Cashewnuts - a few
Dry grapes - a few
Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp


Method:
Dry roast rice and moong dal for few minutes. Wash them properly. Cook the rice and dal. In a pan, (if you have pot, you can prepare in it. The taste will be awesome.) Boil the jaggery with a cup of water. Once the rice is cooked, add it to the boiling jaggery along with milk. Mix well for 5-8 min. Now add roasted cashews, dry grapes and cardamom powder and remove from heat. Serve hot with ghee on top.

0 lovely comments:

Member of Indiblogger!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog Directory

My recent visitors!!!

ONLINE COUNTER

VISITOR COUNTER

All recipes are on Petitchef

Popular Posts